Skip to main content

Prayers of Samuel

                 Samuel: God speaks to a small child

Samuel was the small son of Hannah and Elkanah - remember we talked about Hannah and her desire for a child?  Hannah yearned for a child and only God could give her that child.  After prayer and Hannah promising God that she would give Samuel to God to serve Him, God opened her womb and Samuel was conceived.  After Samuel Hannah and Elkanah when on to have three sons and two daughters together.  God had heard Hannah's prayer and He was faithful because Hannah was a faithful woman.  

Samuel was a small boy serving Eli the high priest.  Eli's sons were wicked though and God had decided they would not serve in Eli's place, so one night as Samuel lay sleeping in the room next to Eli's in case he was needed, a voice called to Samuel.  Let's read about it here. 

1 Samuel 3  "The boy Samuel served the Lord in Eli’s presence. In those days the word of the Lord was rare and prophetic visions were not widespread.
One day Eli, whose eyesight was failing, was lying in his usual place. Before the lamp of God had gone out, Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was located.
Then the Lord called Samuel,[a] and he answered, “Here I am.” He ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.”
“I didn’t call,” Eli replied. “Go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down.
Once again the Lord called, “Samuel!”
Samuel got up, went to Eli, and said, “Here I am; you called me.”
“I didn’t call, my son,” he replied. “Go back and lie down.”
Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, because the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. Once again, for the third time, the Lord called Samuel. He got up, went to Eli, and said, “Here I am; you called me.”
Then Eli understood that the Lord was calling the boy. He told Samuel, “Go and lie down. If he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
10 The Lord came, stood there, and called as before, “Samuel, Samuel!”
Samuel responded, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”
11 The Lord said to Samuel, “I am about to do something in Israel that everyone who hears about it will shudder.[b] 12 On that day I will carry out against Eli everything I said about his family, from beginning to end.13 I told him that I am going to judge his family forever because of the iniquity he knows about: his sons are cursing God,[c] and he has not stopped them. 14 Therefore, I have sworn to Eli’s family: The iniquity of Eli’s family will never be wiped out by either sacrifice or offering.”
15 Samuel lay down until the morning; then he opened the doors of the Lord’s house. He was afraid to tell Eli the vision, 16 but Eli called him and said, “Samuel, my son.”
“Here I am,” answered Samuel.
17 “What was the message he gave you?” Eli asked. “Don’t hide it from me. May God punish you and do so severely if you hide anything from me that he told you.” 18 So Samuel told him everything and did not hide anything from him. Eli responded, “He is the Lord. Let him do what he thinks is good.”[d]
19 Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him, and he fulfilled everything Samuel prophesied.[e] 20 All Israel from Dan to Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was a confirmed prophet of the Lord. 21 The Lord continued to appear in Shiloh because there he revealed himself to Samuel by his word."  

Look at verse 21 for a moment - after calling Samuel and having patience with him because after all Samuel was a boy, God continues to appear in Shiloh and to Samuel.  He makes Himself known.  Samuel was God's man, he sought God with all of his heart, his soul and his might.  (Matthew 22: 36-38)  Because of Samuel's obedience, he would become the last great judge of Israel - their high priest because while Samuel served God faithfully, his sons did not.  Eventually, as Samuel begins to get old, Israel will ask for a king and it becomes a bumpy road for Israel.  

Why do you think God spoke to Samuel?  Could it be that God knew Samuel sought Him and only Him?  God knew He was Samuel's, first love.  

A few weeks ago I spoke with a friend who commented that they wished God would speak to them as clearly as He speaks to me.  I asked if they would like me to pray that God would give them a word and speak to them so they could hear more clearly when He spoke?  They said yes, and so I went on my nightly drive.  Each night I drive and pray over my town, my church, my friends, I also sit quietly and listen to hear from God.  That night was no different.  Until God said, "I need you to silent and listen" and so being obedient, I did.  I drove until I almost reached home and as I neared my driveway God gave me this word for my friend, "Am I your first love?"    When I spoke to them later about God's question for them their eyes got big and they are still speaking and talking to God about this, seeking to make God their first love.  

A part of praying isn't just talking, saying thanks, praising God, confessing your sins, and interceding, sometimes it's about sitting quietly and allowing God to talk.  The more you practice the better you become at hearing Him talk to you as you sit quietly waiting to hear from Him. 

God bless and keep you all as you go through your day. 
In Christ,
Maureen



Comments